Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Not as crazy as it sounds

I’ve said it over and over and I mean it: I am preparing to sail around the world in an 11 foot boat. The idea is that I want to capture Serge Testa’s record. He went around in a 12 footer 20 years ago. Nav systems and boat construction materials have only gotten better since then. To me that’s pretty good evidence that I can get around in an 11 footer now.

People already think I’m a little loony for staking that claim. Now that I’ve announced my intention to open up my route planning and navigation to public control over the Internet, some people think I’m certifiable. But I don’t think so. I compare my idea with the open source movement or with wikipedia and it gives me a good feeling. Software like linux is better because more people work on it. More eyeballs catch mistakes. Same with the wikipedia. I read that vandalism is the biggest source of errors and the effect of vandalism are corrected within 20 minutes.

If I make navigation control of my boat public I’m sure there will be people trying to steer me to the rocks. But that will be balanced by people helping me out and doing the right thing. It’s a really interesting experiment. I think it will be really cool to Captain the first collaborative circumnavigation. I welcome all thoughts and assistance from anyone reading this.

www.captainhumphreys.com

2 Comments:

Blogger Tillerman said...

I think i't a great idea to make your route planning and navigation an "open source" project. But why stop there? Throw the design of the boat open to the public - 30,000 minds are better than one. Collectively we can't do worse than that idiot that designed the leaky canting keels for the V70s. After all how much could we get wrong in only 11 feet?

11:04 PM  
Blogger The Faux Press said...

If it's open source, I'll know which rock upon which to set my camera to await your triumphant landing thereon. As a landlubber, would't presume to add input, but knowing where you're going to be would be a boon.

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home